Hmm, I see it’s been over six months since I blogged about ham radio. I’ve done a lot of things since then. I guess I’ll try to touch on them in order.
First, I did get around to using my HF setup. And it worked perfectly… just like I had envisioned when I bought the gear. The Kenwood TS-590SG hooked to an MP-1 Super Antenna in the front yard. And I tuned the MP-1 with the aid of a Comet CAA-500 antenna analyzer that was hooked up to the antenna with a two-way coax switch. Perfect! And… I really liked the Kenwood radio. Very smooth and intuitive once I got familiar with the basics.
I did become aware of something over the last number of months. I think maybe I’m a little on the OCD side. I swear. Perhaps it’s just an aspect of the hobby. Or maybe it truly is a personality trait. Or both. But I have rearranged my radio setup a whole lot. Like a zillion times in the last year. There are so many various ways to set things up. I have a lot of different combinations of gear that I can put together. And many different ways to do the same basic things.
Not only do I change things around a whole lot… I also have a tendency to keep adding capabilities to my arrangement. Sorta like “scope creep”. I spent a few hundred bucks on an actual TNC so I could do APRS properly. But after playing with it for a couple of months I concluded that it was a waste of time, and I pulled the plug. I also added a cheap DMR radio to my mix. And… I resurrected my Allstar node. But I’m getting ahead of myself.
One of the things that I have dealt with since I initially sprung for my main set of gear back in March… is the feeling that I was locked in to my initial choices with regards to what I had chosen. The amount of money I would lose by selling any of my gear and buying different gear was a serious deterrent to making that sort of move.
But eventually I really felt that I wanted to try ICOM’s terminal mode that they have on their ID-4100A. I had the ID-5100A. And while it’s a better radio in most ways… I think the ID-4100 is more recent technology and it has this feature that the ID-5100 does not have. The feature in question allows the radio to connect directly to a Raspberry Pi hotspot via a data cable… no RF involved.
So I decided to bite the bullet, take the loss of the buying/selling… and I sold my ID-5100 and bought an ID-4100. The data cable to enable the terminal mode cost about $80. All in all… “downgrading” from the ID-5100 to the ID-4100 actually cost me over $200. Yep… that would be a prime example of why to not do this.
Wait… it gets better! After I pulled the trigger and launched that swap into motion… I figured what the heck. I proceeded to sell 4 more of my radios… and buy 5 more new ones. I pretty much did all this swapping around without knowing what the final cost would be. This was because most of the stuff I sold was done via eBay auctions. So there was no way to know what I would really get out of things until it was all said and done.
The biggest loss was the decision to sell my Kenwood TS-590SG and replace it with an ICOM IC-7300. That move cost me almost $300. Well, it was $300 out of pocket cost. If you factor in the original price of the Kenwood… downgrading from the Kenwood TS-590SG to the ICOM IC-7300 cost me almost $700.
All said and done… all this swapping is what I wanted to do. And so that’s a bonus. It felt rather liberating to finally do it. And while my ideas about what I want to do change frequently… I think that’s just part of the hobby. I will say that now… my gear is much better-suited to the purpose at hand. It is function over form.
In the end the swapping cost me very little out of pocket money. But pretty much every single move I made was a downgrade except for one.
My swaps included…
- Kenwood TH-D74A out, ICOM ID-31A Plus in
- Kenwood TS-590SG out, ICOM IC-7300 in
- Yaesu FT-2DR out, Yaesu FT-3DR in
- ICOM ID-5100A out, ICOM ID-4100A in
- Yaesu FTM-400XDR out, 2 Yaesu FTM-3200s in
And I paid money to do this!