I wasn’t liking the whole minimalist setup that much.
The first problem I had was regarding the web browser in my iPad. When using hotspots I typically monitor their status screens (web pages) in tabs on my web browser so that I can see who’s talking. It seems the Shark RF folks made a weird design decision when it comes to their status page strategy. They actually don’t write the status log to any kind of file. They write it directly to the browser. Unfortunately, the iOS browser goes to sleep if it’s not in the foreground. So the status activity gets lost when the browser tab goes to sleep. When I go back to view a sleeping tab… the status page completely resets and doesn’t show the recent activity.
So, apparently the iPad won’t really do the job as my main computing device after all. That means I need to put a computer back on my desk. After contemplating laptop vs iMac… I opted to set my iMac back up.
Ok… do I run macOS or Windows on the iMac? I like macOS better. But Windows is certainly better qualified to work with ham radio. Giving up macOS is not a huge problem. Ok, Windows it is.
And if I’m going to have a computer on my desk that runs Windows… hmm… I could easily run WiRES-X. So I’ve set my node back up using my FTM-100DR and an HRI-200.
While I’m doing all this… how bout I bail on the idea of using handhelds at my desk and go back to using base radios instead. Luckily I can totally do that without buying gear.
Also, the guy who wrote QnetGateway just pushed a new update. I should probably try that. I have way too many hotspots. Time to trim these down and get back to basics. Rather than trying to do more things in more ways, I will pare things down and choose the best method for each mode.
- For C4FM I will use WiRES-X.
- For D-Star I will use terminal mode with QnetGateway.
- For DMR I will use my openSPOT2.
Hmm… that adds up to only one hotspot. And I have five. Oh well. Maybe next week I will want to use them for something.
My new 50ft length of LMR-400 coax arrived today. So I replaced the run that went to my attic antenna with the new cable. This allowed me to take down the makeshift antenna I had set up in my shack when the old coax went bad. It’s pretty funny that getting a new cable with ends was way cheaper than getting the tools to put a new end on my existing cable.